Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thoughts during a work day

How did I arrive here? In this room, with these men, discussing this idea?

Am I in heaven?
A movie?
A dream?
I wish everyone I know could see me in this moment.

Here I find inspiration that warms me and fills me with the same pleasure I felt walking across the grounds.

But they serve Albron food. And I am an outsider, looking for my way into something I have not been invited to enter, and do not fully understand, or know how to contribute to.

Raimond runs out and leaves me there. Next time I must remember to ask for more details about our meetings in advance. I am left to explain myself, and beg a ride with a delightful man to Amsterdam. He speaks of our cultural baggage weighing us down with the idea that permanent is good, and that people must dominate and separate themselves from nature - he calls himself an "architect", and asks me to define myself.

I wish I could wrap myself up into a nice package with the word "architect", or "engineer". Another fixation of our culture - identities, lables - which reduces our flexibility and adaptive capacity.

I don't even think to call myself a musician or athlete until well after we part ways. More pieces of the identity I hammer loosely together, pulling up the parts that are most convenient whenever I must identify myself. These new ones - liaison for a research institute, and coordinator of a soon-to-be international network - are still uncomfortable to me, and I am amazed at how quickly people accept them, while I hardly believe them myself.

I am still in the stage of my career and life where I am looking for mentors. I assess all the people and organizations I encounter to see if they inspire me to emulate them. I want so badly to be inspired.

Other ideas and visions that inspire me today:
We do not need to develop new knowledge, but simply to apply what we already know.
We do not need to produce more food, but to produce our food in a sustainable manner, and to use it and distribute it more wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment