Thursday, April 30, 2009

The opportunity is here

I have often thought that it would be exciting to have or be an influential part of a business - not because of any desire to run a business, but because of the opportunity to influence the world so tremendously through that business.

Mostly I think of restaurants and sourcing wholesome, fairtrade, organic, local food; hiring young people feeling down and out and giving them an opportunity to be inspired and gain confidence; supporting local initiatives with money and time and food; sponsoring healthy lunches in schools and projects to plant fruit trees throughout the city; creating no waste that is not composted or recycled.

Now I find myself in a very influential position at the start-up of what could be a very large organization. It doesn't feel as straight-forward as I imagined running a restaurant would be, but I have great opportunities to influence the direction of research, the transparency and openness of the organization, the amount and type of travel and off-sets, where and how we entertain partners, how we engage with the international climate change process.

In many ways it feels more grey than my imaginary restaurant, but the opportunities are much more real right now, and I must not be blinded to them, intimidated by them, or too busy in busy-work to not take advantage of them.

Today and every day is my opportunity to make this organization - and this world - one that I am proud of and inspired by.

No comments:

Post a Comment